Expert Knife Kit – Stacked Birchbark
When will it arrive?
In The Box
- 6A Steel Drop Point Hunter
- Birchbark washers
- Walnut slotted guard
- Walnut threaded pommel
- Wood Glue (4 oz)
- Die-cut leather
- 7 Screw Rivets
- Gel Superglue
- Instruction Booklet
How It Ships
- Orders placed by noon PST will ship out same day
- Choose your delivery date at checkout
Barking Up the Right Tree
A knife handle is much more than "the part you grab on to." It's an extension of a hunter's hand and an expression of artistry. That's why the Scandinavians carry on a longstanding tradition of stacking birchbark to fashion their knife handles. The soft, close-grained bark gives the handle a velvety feel that makes it a pleasure to carry. He may even try to keep it in his tight grasp as he falls asleep at night.
The Expert Knife Kit – Stacked Birchbark comes with a complete set of unassembled knife bits, including a stainless steel hunter blade, birchbark washers, screw rivets, walnut guard, and threaded pommel. But unlike Ikea furniture, putting it all together will actually be a delightful challenge. Though he might work up an appetite for oddly inexpensive Swedish meatballs.
If he's achieved expert level status as a knife maker and is in search of a new challenge, he certainly won't besmirch the birch.
Note: This kit is designed for more experienced knife builders who already own the necessary tools (including a vise, rasp and file, and a 3/16” drill bit). If he doesn’t have those tools already, be sure to add-on the Projects Tool Set during checkout.
Handle with Comfort
- He'll marvel at the durable 8A stainless steel tang blade made of carbon, chromium, and the highly underrated vanadium. It registers a 58-59 on the Rockwell hardness scale, which means it's a lot harder than stuff in the 30-40 range.
- The main squeeze of this kit is the handle, which he will fashion from several handcut birchbark washers.
- Though he'll have a hard time ever letting go of that silky smooth handle, he can create a hip-hugging home for his knife with the leather hunter sheath kit.
- The 12-page assembly guide is full of step-by-step instructions and good ol' fashioned nordic know-how to help him craft the ultimate hunter's knife.
Jan 25th 2019
I got this as a Christmas gift. I can't express how satisfying it's been to form and shape the handle to my own whim. The sheath is a nice extra touch. Everything about this project is fun and absorbing. Makes me want to build another...maybe with leather washers for the handle material? I can't think of a single fella that wouldn't enjoy this kit.