The 2018 Golden Globe Awards is your host-or-hostess-with-the-mostest time to shine. With some tips and gentle guidance, you’ll be throwing a party that gives the actual awards show a run for its money. Every film fanatic knows that The Beverly Hilton has got nothing on your living room. Cocktails, finger food, games, swag bags and cheer/boo oscillations are where it’s at.
Smack talking like a highly regarded film critic is also worth its weight in Golden Globes. You know it’s true. Without further ado, may we present to you the Man Crates guide on how to throw a Golden Globes party!
FOOD & DRINK
Finger food and cocktails are a winning combo for any Golden Globes party. You can go over the top and make movie & tv themed appetizers or choose crowd-pleasing favorites and miniaturize ’em.
What to use:
- Bacon strips
- 7 grain bread (or gluten free if you’ve got special friends)
- Cocktail tomatoes
- Butter lettuce
- Spicy mayo
How to use it:
- Cut bacon into thirds and fry in a pan. Math is easy when bacon’s involved!
- Put bacon on paper towels to drain excess fat. Or drain it directly into your mouth. Yes, that’s disgusting, but why waste?
- Use a cookie cutter to cut circles out of the lettuce and bread. Slice tomatoes and spread the mayo onto your bread. The complexities of sandwich making are vast, we know.
- Assemble in this order: bread, lettuce, tomato and bacon. God help you if you try any other order. Repeat. Skewer with cocktail forks. Or the power of Eleven’s gaze. Your choice.
What to use:
- 1 cup ice
- 1-1/2 ounces Citron vodka
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 fresh cranberries—or 26 if you feel like getting wild
- 1 lime peel twist
- Fresh mint for garnish
How to use it:
- Place your martini glasses in the freezer for 15 minutes to get them frosty cold. PRO-TIP: Don’t go longer and think it’d be funny to recreate movie magic by sticking your tongue to one. That ends well for no one
- Combine all the ingredients except the lime twist in a cocktail shaker and shake ’til you just can’t shake no more (20 seconds will suffice)
- Strain into the chilled cocktail glasses
- Twist the lime peel over the drink and drop it in with the cranberries
- Garnish with a small stem of fresh mint because this is the Golden Globes and you are FANCY
DECOR, GAMES & CONTESTS
Tip 1: Roll Out the Red Carpet – Literally. How badass would YOU feel if you showed up to an awards show party with a red carpet leading up to the front door? Dress up your wine bottles, toss star confetti in the air like you just don’t care, and make your own Hollywood Walk of Fame. Go all out with your decor and your guests will feel the cinematic magic even more!
Tip 2: Nominee Ballots – Next level this thing by printing out nominee ballots and handing them out to your guests as they arrive. Have them guess the evening’s winners. Whoever gets the most right answers wins a killer prize like the Secret Stash Flask.
Golden Globe trivia during the commercials is also the perfect way to keep your guests engaged and excited. And who doesn’t like movie & television trivia? Everybody likes to break that out when it’s least expected.
Tip 3: Dress the Part – No awards show would be complete without the fashion. When you send out your invites, tell your guests to dress in true Golden Globes fashion like they’ve been nominated for best actress or best supporting actor. The winner gets a fancy bottle of champagne. Classy.
Tip 4: Impressions – Impression contests are fun too. Enough said.
If you want to ensure your Golden Globes party will become an annual event, introduce gift bags into the mix and step that game up to level 10. Next to the food, custom party favors are one of the best things possible at any soiree. So why not make it as memorable as the time (and time again) your Great Aunt Alma told you she went on an ice cream date with James Dean?
Check out this list of products the stars themselves received in their swag bags last year. You could also include bowties, popcorn, lipsticks, a copy of one of the best pictures from the last 10 years on DVD, an autographed cast photo you nabbed off eBay—the options are limitless.
Whatever you do, be sure to check out the The 75th Golden Globe Nominations List and tune in on Sunday January 7, 2018 8pm EST/5pm PST. Your Golden Globe party will be a showstopper!